What Is BESG?
The Bellagio Essential Surgery Group is a group committed to raising international awareness to increase access to surgical services in resource constrained settings in sub-Saharan Africa. Through cross-country collaborations, we work in partnership with governments and agencies committed to addressing the surgical burden of disease.
The BESG aims to increase access to essential surgical services by:
- advocating for the integration of surgery into health systems.
- networking surgical providers, public health practitioners, policy makers and researchers.
- promoting the development of projects, training programs and priority research.
News & Events
- BESG members in Mozambique, Uganda and Tanzania conduct district hospital level research project. (More information coming soon.)
- Surgical Burden of Disease Meeting held in Seattle, Washington on April 15-17, 2008.
- BESG hosted a meeting in Kampala in July 2008 to develop strategies to increase access to surgical services.
About the Website
This website is a work in progress, and we welcome any suggestions or contributions to its development. Please contact Lindsey Lubbock with any comments or question about this site or the BESG.